NAECTE & Cengage Learning Outstanding Dissertation Award
This award is given at the annual conference by NAECTE and Cengage Learning. Dissertations completed between May of 2014 and May of 2015 are eligible for nomination this year. The award includes a one year honorary membership in NAECTE, an inscribed plaque, the opportunity to give a presentation at the annual conference, and a $750.00 honorarium.
The award is for a doctoral dissertation in early childhood (birth through age eight) teacher education, early childhood education, or in related areas in which a major portion of the study has focused on early childhood (e.g., educational, school, or developmental psychology; elementary education; child or human development; curriculum and instruction). Persons receiving either a Ph.D. or an Ed.D. are eligible.
Submit the following in electronic format (e-docs, either Word or PDF):
- A copy of the dissertation authored by the student, with identifying information on the cover sheet only;
- A letter of nomination from an NAECTE member who is familiar with the dissertation research;
- A letter from the chair of the dissertation committee verifying that the dissertation was successfully defended and officially approved. If the committee chair is an NAECTE member, a single letter of support and verification is sufficient.
- All materials should be sent electronically (e-docs, either Word or PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com by deadline dates for submission found at the award’s main page.
Criteria to be used in the selection process:
- Excellence in meeting scholarly standards (e.g., problem statement, conceptual framework, literature review, methodology, results, discussion, etc.).
- Potential positive impact on or relevance to early childhood teacher education philosophy, policy, and/or practice.
- Overall quality.